Reason not to take Spiriva

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
As Harv has mentioned several times, to be safe, he does not even try a drug until it has been on the market for at least 10 years. That's probably very good advice.

JC the Fox

Waiting Ten Years

If everyone waited ten years to take a drug, then no one would take it. And, if that advice were carried to other things, such as stem cell therapy, there would be no pioneers.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
Very true, however, if someone is truly worried about the side effects a drug can produce, there are obviously going to be risks if the drug hasn't been on the market for a good length of time. There will always be Pioneers and there will be others who prefer to err on the side of caution. My husband was given a pain killer recently that warned that one of the side effects was sudden heart attack. We couldn't believe it. He toughed out the pain needless to say and I flushed the bottle of pills down the porcelain God.

Jeannine

Pioneer Founding member
The article states 8 out of 1,000 people had a stroke while taking Spiriva.
Considering that 700,000 people suffer strokes every year in the US I don't believe it's reason to stop taking it. Also, most people taking it are over 60 and more vulnerable to getting strokes. The article is also biased as it's on an ambulance chaser website.

I've been taking Spiriva since Dec 2005 and I can say it has caused my skin to be dry and I believe it affected my vision to a small degree but I believe the benefit of it reducing lung hyperinflation outweighs the risks.

And why are we discussig this here instead of on the COPD Living forum? It has nothing to do with stem cells.

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
We have an off the topic forum in which discussion of anything is allowed. In this case, I didn't feel that the subject was one that would interest anyone except the pulmonary members and left the post alone. If a member is also a member of the COPDliving forum, I would like to encourage them to double post important information. That's what I do as not all members of either forum belong to both.

zar

As Harv has mentioned several times, to be safe, he does not even try a drug until it has been on the market for at least 10 years. That's probably very good advice.
I have been using Sprivia since it first came out in Europe.
When was sprivia first used in Europe?.
I have been using Resprimat for 3 years.
When will it be on the market in the US?.

danny

I am just saying I notice I have major headaches when I try to sleep on Spiriva for years now. Then I found this article..maybe I am 1 or the 700,000.. I stopped taking it for 2 days and they went away.