Inflammation

barbara

Pioneer Founding member
This question was submitted for Dr. Ghen

What do you think are the best and worst foods and supplements for reducing inflammation and rebuilding our immune systems? I have had stem cell therapy and want to make sure that I am eating right. If any foods stand out to you in particular, this is what I would like to know. Thank you.

The worst foods are those that of course,provoke inflammation. These foods tend to increase the production of Arachidonic Acid. Keep these out of any diet that you want to control Inflammation. Foods to avoid are: Fried,Fatty,Potato Chips, white flour, oils that are non monosaturated, basically if it is not Olive oil, or Canola you should probably not use it. These are ?Low heating or Salad oils I typically recommend. If it is for Mid- Heat cooking then either Coconut or Macadamia Nut oils are good.
Inflammation control is a balance of three pathways that lead to the formation of different minute substances called Prostaglandins. Since the word Balance is the key, the best way to answer the question is to realize pathways 1 and 3 are anti-Inflammatory and pathway 2 is.
Therefore, preventing pathway 2 while promoting 1&3 makes sense. Pathway 2 is increased by what I spoke about above...the wrong fats. Yes, 80% of all inflammation comes from inappropriate fat ingestion or utilization. The other two pathways need to be balanced as well..since overrunning one can and will cause a deficiency in the other. For example, taking to much Omega 3 without any GOOD omega 6 (Borage oil,Black current Oil or Evening Primrose oil) may cause a deficiency in the Omega 6 anti-Inflammatory production.
It is important to have a good health care practioner that understands how to manipulate these pathways for your benefit and net result you want. Items that can be used in PROPER combinations include:
Vit. E, Curcumin, Quercitin, Ashwanga,Garlic, Hops derivative especially made to inhibit inflammation and certain enzymes are also helpful.

One more thing, do check with you Physician that did the Stem Cell Transplant sometimes he/she may not want to take away all the inflammation because it is a signaling mechanism for the Stem Cells to come to an injured area.

Health, Happiness and Hugs,

Dr. G