PDA

View Full Version : Looking for words of wisdom on Stem Cell Treatments

whatsnew
02-28-2014, 02:04 PM
My wife is now in her fourth year since confirmation of her dementia. Only recently have I come upon material and discussions with various treatment centers, and I am getting mixed feedback on their merits. Apparently the IV injected stem cells (MSCs) do not yield any benefit, but they are considering direct injection to the brain via a shunt.
My wife was assessed as being at the advanced stage already, and I would like to help her even if it is a minimal amount.
Can anyone advise on potential stem cell benefits or anything other than aricept and namenda, which she has been taking all along. Have tried coconut oil and all it did was raise her cholesterol, but I do have her taking B-12 and MCT oil.
Thanking you for your feedback!

barbara
02-28-2014, 06:12 PM
"but they are considering direct injection to the brain via a shunt."

whatsnew - Who is considering this? IV infusion does not go beyond the blood brain barrier. It's good for something like respiratory disease because first pass is the lungs.

whatsnew
03-01-2014, 01:16 PM
California Stem Cell treatment advised in December that they are trying to get approval from IRB to use the shunt procedure. They indicated on my follow-up in early Feb that they are not quite there, but to check with them in a couple of months.
Does the treatment sound encouraging to you, Barbara?

barbara
03-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Is this the group you are referring to? http://www.californiastemcell.com/ I don't see where they are doing treatments except for some clinical trials for cancer.

whatsnew
03-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Their website does not show it, however, Dr. Berman mentioned to me over the phone that they are investigating the shunt procedure. I plan to follow-up again next month.
What are your thoughts about the potential benefits of this?

barbara
03-04-2014, 02:03 PM
Personally, I would not want to be the first to try that, IRB or no IRB. What kind of stem cells would be infused?

whatsnew
03-04-2014, 04:09 PM
My understanding is that her own cells derived by liposuction from the abdominal area.
I feel the same way as you that I would not want my wife to be in the early group.
Thanks much for your input. Right now I am at a dead end on what else to consider!

barbara
03-04-2014, 04:38 PM
Adipose (from fat) is becoming very popular with some doctors. However, it is important to know what kind of stem cells they are deriving from the fat. All stem cells are not the same. Processing methods make a big difference as well. I personally would not have much faith that this would help her, but I am not a medical doctor. Therefore, I am going to include this topic in the coming Ask the Doctor and will let a stem cell doctor reply.