PDA

View Full Version : News Item

Buddy74
06-22-2011, 04:06 PM
I read a news item that stated that The Domican Republic will be closing Stem Cell clinics in the Domican Republic and that Germany has already started the process. Could this be true?

Kaye
06-22-2011, 05:40 PM
This was from the newspaper Dominican Today. Makes you wonder is somebody is being "encouraged" to take action if you get my gist.

http://www.dominicantoday.com/dr/local/2011/5/24/39647/stem-cell-treatments-illegal-domincanauthorities-warn

Stem cell treatments illegal, Dominican authorities warn Dominican Republic’s Public Health Minister warned Monday that the clinics which apply treatments based on stem cells risk losing their license, and that he’ll instruct regional health officials to notify all of them directly that those procedures are banned.

Bautista Rojas affirmed that he’ll seek to halt the treatments with stem cells until they are authorized by the Bioethics Health Council (Conabios), whose members yesterday stated their concern for the treatments or therapies, noting that those methods aren’t proven scientifically, and that their effectiveness in humans is unknown.

The controversy comes just days after the pitcher Bartolo Colon reportedly underwent that type of treatment, with apparent success.

Jeannine
06-22-2011, 05:46 PM
I just don't get it. Unless "Irv's Buddies" have contacted the Dominican Government. Let's face it, these treatments work (and they do work and Colon is living proof) this could affect the endless research and grants that keep many of these researchers employed. Either that or it's sheer ignorance about stem cells. I lean towrd the former.

Kaye
06-23-2011, 07:32 AM
You hit the nail on the head! These treatments do work and work very well. That is a BIG problem for researchers. If word gets out, their funding will be cut. Heaven forbid that somebody - anybody use common sense with taxpayer funds. Don't do the obvious first, it might work.

http://www.latindailyfinancialnews.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=9638%3Adominicanas-ministry-of-health-will-sanction-stem-cell-use&catid=185%3Ahealth&Itemid=669&lang=en

DOMINICANA’S MINISTRY OF HEALTH WILL SANCTION STEM CELL USE
Friday, 27 May 2011 03:00 Newsroom Staff

By Anne Elliot

Latin Daily Financial News

Physicians and institutions involved in the implementation of stem cell treatments in Dominicana will be exposing themselves to sanctions by the Ministry of Public Health.

This was the warning given on Tuesday by the executive director of the National Council on Bioethics in Health (Conabios), Dr. Miguel Montalvo, and that the provisions of Public Health state that any treatment applied by professionals or institutions must be endorsed by said body.

He reiterated that the procedures performed with stem cells made by Dominican and foreign doctors in the Dominican Republic without the required scientific backing for their application that offer improvement but have not yet been proven safe. Montalvo said Conabios adheres to the guidelines of the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR). ​​

The controversy surrounding the issue was generated after Dr. Leonel Liriano and a foreign doctor in 2010 operated on New York Yankees’ pitcher Bartolo Colon with stem cell treatments, after which the Dominican-born player improved his performance.

Buddy74
06-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I am a Yankee fan and also someone who has had stem cell treatment in Santo Domingo in 2009. The Bartolo Colon situation is somewhat up in the year. It is quite possible that the stem cell treatment he had in 2010 did help his pitching arm. The other theory is that Bartolo Colon had a very well used pitching arm and that the year and a half he took off from pitching may have rested and helped in the rejuvenation of his arm. The 2011 season is only a little more than a third over and he has done pretty well so far. His team mate Freddy Garcia fits into the same picture, he took almost two years off and is pitching quite well. They have both become finesse pitchers. We will have to wait and see how the season progresses and I hope they both do well. Whether the long arm rest is what helped or in Colon's case the addition of the stem cell procedure was helpful will probably be better known as the long season progresses. It's too early to make conclsions.
Bud