PDA

View Full Version : International Stem Cell Institute Launches Major Adipose Adult Stem Cell Therapy Prog

Jeannine
08-27-2010, 10:49 AM
International Stem Cell Institute Launches Major Adipose Adult Stem Cell Therapy Program--The New Frontier of Medicine is Your Fat

Your Fat is Your Medicine Cabinet

SAN DIEGO, Aug 26, 2010 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- International Stem Cell Institute), a worldwide leader in Stem Cell Therapy, today announces the launch of its significant and proprietary Adipose-derived Adult Stem Cell Therapy program, declaring it an extremely effective solution to treat degenerative diseases and conditions. Scientists and medical researchers worldwide are finding adult stem cells have an almost magical ability to heal the human body, and the supporting scientific evidence is rapidly mounting. The FDA recently approved Geron Corporation and University of California at Irvine to conduct trials utilizing embryonic stem cells in patients with spinal cord injuries. However after ten years of rigorous testing and research on embryonic stem cells, scientists have still not been able to treat or cure any diseases. By comparison, adult stem cells continue to show their ability to successfully treat human disease and injury, while embryonic stem cells continue to demonstrate zero benefits for humans, and only limited results in animal models. It's now widely accepted Adult Stem Cells hold the real key to curing diseases and medical conditions and are the future direction of medicine. ISCI's treatments--based solely on Adult Stem Cells--utilize leading edge technologies, and hold immediate promise for patients suffering from many forms of degenerative diseases.

New Hope for Many Conditions Is Available Now

An industry pioneer, ISCI is currently scheduling patients for treatment, especially those suffering from Parkinson's disease, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Alzheimer's, Myocardial ischemia, Lupus, MS, stroke, Diabetes type 1 and type 2, ALS, COPD, and spinal cord injuries and a host of autoimmune related conditions -- illnesses which affect hundreds of thousands of patients in the United States alone. Patients receive their own Adult Stem and Regenerative Cells, thereby avoiding the risk of rejection or disease transmission that exists with donor stem cells and the controversy associated with embryonic stem cells. Once introduced these cells show an amazing ability to help heal the body's organs and tissues, in addition to improving blood supplies and circulation to the diseased organs and tissues.

"Patients suffering with degenerative diseases today have few options, so this medical breakthrough is an important milestone both for affected patients and doctors treating them," says Rita Alexander, Executive Director for the International Stem Cell Institute (ISCI, located in San Diego, California. "Our Adipose Stem Cell Therapy program maximizes the healing potential of your own body. It's not just harvesting the stem cells, but how those stem cells are prepared and activated which impacts the in vivo therapeutic effect, that's why our Adipose Stem Cell Therapy program is completely different from anything else available today," claims Alexander.

Your Fat Is Medicine, Contains Stem Cells in the Millions

Adipose tissue--commonly referred to as "fat"--is the human body's richest known source of stem cells. Adult Stem Cells are found in several areas of the body, but with Adipose-derived Stem Cells by far holding the most healing potential. For therapeutic purposes peripheral blood contains about 10,000 stem cells per treatment. Bone marrow contains about 50,000 adult stem cells. By comparison stem cells directly obtained from adipose tissue (Fat) yields and incredible 10 to 60 million stem cells per treatment. These are the highly desirable Mesenchymal Stromal Stem Cells capable of morphing into various cell types that repair the body.

The Adipose Adult Stem Cell Therapy Procedure

In the procedure adipose tissue is removed from the patient using mini-liposuction, and processed with a combination of PRP (platelet rich plasma) and low laser light. Four hours later literally tens of millions of the patient's own newly activated stem and regenerative cells are administered back into the body and immediately begin working. ISCI utilizes the AdiStem technology, AdiStem is the world's leading provider of Autologous Adipose-derived Adult Stem Cell products and procedures. "ISCI's Adipose Stem Cell Therapy treatment is a major advancement in disease care," says Alexander. "There's no doubt the most exciting frontier in medicine now is adult stem cell therapy derived from fat. This is going to completely change the way patients are treated over the course of their lives and how we look at disease in the human body. Since ISCI is dedicated to providing patients worldwide with the best therapy available, we are no longer offering treatments with placenta stem cells. Current studies and reports from the doctors we work with indicate that Adipose Stem Cell Therapy is without doubt the most advanced form of stem cell therapy and has the greatest positive effects on a variety of degenerative diseases and medical conditions."

Patients interested in Stem Cell Therapy are encouraged to find out more about Adipose Adult Stem Cell treatment by contacting the company.

About International Stem Cell Institute

About ISCI is an innovator in providing a pathway to Adipose Stem Cell Therapy and regenerative medicine to restore vibrant health and quality of life for thousands of people with degenerative diseases around the world. The company has a global reach and is dedicated to the highest medical and ethical standards.

Disclaimer: Stem Cell Therapies offered for consideration by International Stem Cell Institute are not currently approved by the FDA and the treatments and procedures mentioned take place outside the USA. Stem Cell Treatments are not a cure for any condition, disease or injury, nor a substitute for proper medical diagnosis and care. The information contained in this press release and ISCI's written materials should not be considered medical advice. It is intended to be used for educational and information purposes only.

Photos/Multimedia Gallery Available: http://www.businesswire.com/cgi-bin/mmg.cgi?eid=6405937&lang=en

SOURCE: International Stem Cell Institute

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/international-stem-cell-institute-launches-major-adipose-adult-stem-cell-therapy-program-the-new-frontier-of-medicine-is-your-fat-2010-08-26?reflink=MW_news_stmp

Kaye
08-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Oh my gosh! It's finally here! I'm at a loss for words! Answer to prayer!

Jeannine
08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
I read it several times before posting and I was still afraid to post it in case I was dreaming. LOL

barbara
08-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I'm not sure what you ladies are talking about. This is a company that is using adipose stem cells to treat patients in Mexico. I moved this thread to the promotions area as this is a press release, not a scientific paper. They use Adistem's method I believe. I guess their press release is working since we are giving them even more publicity.

Kaye
08-27-2010, 12:33 PM
Well just kiss my grits! That's what I get for going to the web site and not reading all of the info!

Jeannine
08-27-2010, 12:50 PM
For some reason I didn't look at the fine print on their website either. I should have known better.

barbara
08-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Treatment is in Reynosa, Mexico which is across the border from McAllen, TX. I have put in a call to the CEO to get more information. I don't believe they are doing anything but adipose derived sc therapy, but I want to make sure and also get some idea as to the cost and reliability of their operation. I just haven't seen enough documentation on adipose treatments yet to fully convince me that that's the way to go for all diseases and conditions. It is an invasive procedure so patients need to be aware of this.

Kaye
08-27-2010, 03:38 PM
No wonder they are advertising. That is an area where a lot of violence is going on between the drug/gangs and the officials. Here is some of the headlines:

2 cars explode in Mexico where 72 bodies found
By E. EDUARDO CASTILLO (AP) ? 1 hour ago

REYNOSA, Mexico ? Two cars exploded early Friday in a northern state where officials are investigating the killing of 72 Central and South American migrants, and a prosecutor investigating the massacre has disappeared.

barbara
08-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Well, unless there is another border town across from McAllen, Reynosa is where the clinic is. There is violence all across Mexico, but usually not right at the border where most clinics are located.

michaelsdad00
08-27-2010, 06:34 PM
Anyone know what the cost is, and if you have to stay over in Mexico for the therapy.
Dave Snow

barbara
08-27-2010, 08:16 PM
I called the CEO earlier today and left a message for her to call me. I will of course share anything I learn if I get a return call. I seriously doubt that it would require a stay in Mexico for this type of adipose derived therapy. It's usually just a matter of doing the lipo and then the infusion which can be done all in one day. I have my doubts about there being any first rate hospitals in this area, so it is probably done at a clinic, but I could be wrong.

nitetrain
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
I would call adipose stem cell therapy non-invasive...considering a mini-liposuction procedure followed by, being administered intravenously..Especially when compared to bone marrow harvest and spinal tap..

Due to the potential high amounts of messenchymal stem cells retrieved from adipose and non-invasive procedure...I would have to say this seems to be, currently, the best route, especially what I am researching for, brain injury...

Also we returned 6 months ago from Monterrey, Mexico for a clinical trial.....Big time drug cartels and crime..We had no problems...Just kept my mouth shut and accent hidden...

barbara
08-27-2010, 09:02 PM
Have you had lipo? I call it invasive. Not like a transplant, but nonetheless invasive. As for bone marrow extractions, some people have no problems with just a local administered, others need to have twilight anesthesia because they feel it is very painful. I have had both and at this point would take a marrow extraction any day of the week. I haven't had a spinal tap, so I am taking your word on it that you think lipo would be far easier.
There is a lot of buzz right now about adipose derived treatment and many clinics and doctors are using it because as you say, the fat produces a lot of stem cells as compared to the marrow, especially in someone that is older. However, I haven't seen a lot of testimonials or reviews or scientific papers that give a lot of information about the results. It is early on and eventually we will start getting more info, but until then, I am not going to get all warm and fuzzy feeling over adipose treatments. Mini lipo doesn't necessarily mean mini pain.

How did the trial go? How long were you in Monterrey?

nitetrain
08-27-2010, 09:55 PM
I am speaking from experience, well if you count watching my 4 year old going through both procedures and his reaction...

Second phase upcoming in clinical trial that involves harvest bone marrow and infused 8 to 10 mL of stem cells (CD34+) by intrathecal via the cerebrospinal fluid under local anesthesia...

Adipose therapy that invloved harvesting ASCs from adipose tissue through simple, minimally invasive liposuction under local anesthesia...

"Attack the argument and not the person"

I understand you have your opinion but others may have opinions also with personal experience..

We are not talking about easier and comfort....
Comparing mini-liposuction to injection of stem cells into CSF..As I stated...
I would say a needle in the spine and/or CSF potentialy has more risks and would be more invasive, due to many potential "things that could go wrong"..
Risk factor, when comparing the two procedures I mentioned, its a no brainer...

6 days in Monterray, 20 million CD34 hematopoietic cells from trial, seizures 100 percent gone, most positive results within first three weeks..has been currently 6 months...second phase begins at the end of September

70 million cell from adipose, starting to see much more improvements from mesenchymal stem cells, post 2 weeks...I would imagine since we are not dealing with seizures this time around...

barbara
08-27-2010, 10:55 PM
"Attack the argument and not the person"

I understand you have your opinion but others may have opinions also with personal experience..

Are you stating I shouldn't give my opinion or that I am attacking you? Because if you are, that's just not the case. I asked for your opinion when I stated I hadn't had a spinal. How many people posting here have had both adipose and marrow extractions? My opinion did not include those that have had to have a needle in the spine and or CSF as you describe.

You went to a first rate offshore facility and I have to tell you that the popularity of adipose derived stem cell treatments doesn't mean that they are problem free. Many doctors simply are not well trained on how to do the lipo and most clinics do not have a plastic surgeon on staff as it is too costly. It can be very painful. I had a report just last week about someone who suffered severe pain during a mini lipo procedure.

Do you feel as a general rule that all children will have less pain with the lipo or do you feel this is more on a case by case basis? When I had my first marrow extraction, the doctor told me that about 50% of his patients required more sedation as they felt it was too painful with the local, while the other 50% did just fine with only a local. I was in the latter group. Comparing it to my own experience with lipo, I will once again state, that for me, there is no comparison. The lipo was very painful after the anesthesia wore off and that pain lasted for weeks. I do see your point about the infusion being safer. For those not requiring a spinal however, this would not be a factor.

I comment on this forum because I do get a tremendous volume of feedback from sources and right now, I think that many people getting adipose derived treatment are not going to be assured that the doctor giving it has had adequate experience in doing the procedure unless he is a plastic surgeon or has been using the procedure for a long period of time.

No procedure is risk free. Somehow, some people are thinking that having stem cell treatments are like going to a spa for a massage and a pedicure. There are risks in all of the procedures as far as I'm concerned.

Just my two cents.

michaelsdad00
08-28-2010, 12:25 PM
My son has not had either lipo or bone marrow harvesting done on him. Regenerative Medicine Institure had a 2 night 3 day residence requirement in the hospital in Tijuana due to the medical procedures involving adipose stem cell harvesting and a spinal injection. RMI said that 3 weeks would be the healing time for a liposuction of belly fat. My understanding that a needle into the bone marrow wouldn't have three weeks of discomfort involved.

I do like the fact that thse people in Reynosa are attempting to activate and possible expand the population of stem cells prior to reimplantation. Giving the transplant via an aterial catheter or a lumbar puncture? Which is more invasive of these two procedures. Both would require full anesthesia of my son as would harvesting the stem cells. He would'nt understand the pain or discomfort. He has had a catheter to the carotid artery via the femoral artery and it required full anesthesia and a team of doctors.

Dear "nitetrain" Please describe the procedures your son underwent if you don't mind and the results so far. Sounds Fascinating!
Thank you,
Dave Snow

barbara
08-28-2010, 03:07 PM
I do like the fact that thse people in Reynosa are attempting to activate and possible expand the population of stem cells prior to reimplantation.

Hi Dave - What do you mean by this statement? Is RMI doing no expansion? I'm just not clear on what you meant because expansion would need to be before infusion it it were being done.

I read somewhere about a laser technique that someday might be used in place of lipo. That would certainly improve upon what is being done now. The 3 week recovery is less than what it took me, but with a child, it is probably less than an old bag like me. I had an epidural when I had the procedure, so the pain didn't begin until the following day. Not good memories.

I have spoken to Dr. Lopez about his procedures and one thing I must say about him is that he is extremely thorough and goes by all the rules that the ministry of health requires in Mexico. He currently is involved in several clinical trials and this may explain the additional hospital time he is requiring over what other companies do. He wants to get definitive data pre and post treatment and he likes to have patients monitored around the clock after treatment. The Angeles Hospital where he does his work is said to be first class. Has anyone been there that could give us a report?

It would also be nice to hear from anyone that has had adipose derived sc treatment to learn if their experience was a good one or not. I will say one thing, the press release which brought on this thread, was one of the best I've seen. Not enough to make me try adipose treatment again, but well done nevertheless.

michaelsdad00
08-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Barbara,
No expansion, no priming or activation of the separated stem cells. You get what you got. To go through all of that and pay that kind of money, I wanted Michael to get more. To me the Quality and Quantity of the implanted cells should more than make up for an implantation procedure directly into the Cerebral spinal fluid or even just below the circle of Willis via an arterial catheter. I was told an expanded quantity didn't matter with adipose stem cells which is why I am still looking around.
Dave

barbara
08-28-2010, 07:16 PM
That's good to know. There are so many getting into treating with adipose derived stem cells, that there are bound to be some reports coming from patients soon. Until then, all I can add is that I personally had a painful experience that quite frankly did not produce the type of results I got with marrow, uc and placenta. In fact, there may have been too much expansion and I may have gotten too many stem cells infused too quickly which caused a lot of shortness of breath for me.

I have also been told that the lab that processes the stem cells needs to use a top of the line centrifuge to spin the cells. I did check on that and the lab that processed my cells was using a good centrifuge. There's a whole lot more to therapy than one thinks. I know I am learning something new everyday.

I also contacted a doctor that was using adipose derived treatment with a few questions and he did not have the answers. I have to tell you that was rather disconcerting and makes me wonder if doctors are just thinking this is an easy route to go because of the amount of stem cells that our fat has (young or old) and they really do not have the experience that needs to go along with using this type of treatment. The lipo is especially worrisome. A few lessons does not a plastic surgeon make. Hopefully, anyone else that goes that route will have a good experience, but I still maintain that weeks worth of recovery time (and even the 3 weeks you mentioned) indicates to me an invasive procedure. I have never had but a very mild pain after a marrow extraction and was able to do whatever I wanted right after the infusion.

barbara
08-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I spoke with President Rita Alexander of the Intl. Stem Cell Institute today. It was a very informative conversation, so much so that I have asked her to host the Ask the Doctor for October.

Rita is a patient and suffers from a debilitating disease which she believes is 90% improved since she has had stem cell therapy. Originally the company used placenta stem cells, but found that improvements didn't seem to have a lasting impact on the disease or condition treated.

The company uses the Adistem method which uses about 100cc of fat compared to a regular liposuction treatment for cosmetic purposes which uses 3000-5000 cc's of it. This means a small cannula can be used and recovery time of about 5 days is average. Patients can use a twilight anesthesia or a local.

Currently, treatment is at a hospital in Matamoros, Mexico which is the city across the border from Brownsville, TX. There are future plans for other locations.

The price is $10,000 at this time, as they are still in the experimental stage. Rita says it will go up, but not until they get evidence of efficacy for the diseases they treat. They also do not treat all diseases and they do NOT treat any children whatsoever.

I talked to her about my concerns of doctors not having adequate training in liposuction and she agreed with me 100%. If a doctor is not a surgeon, he may not have the skills to do lipo in a pain free manor that doesn't have a long recovery time. Experience of the doctor doing the procedure is a key factor and one that should be addressed when anyone is considering adipose derived treatment.

Rita also indicated that her company will be joining ICMS and she would like to have her patients in the ICMS registry.

Jeannine
08-29-2010, 03:51 PM
This clinic sounds promising. Did she say what types of illnesses have shown improvements with their treatment so far?

barbara
08-29-2010, 08:35 PM
They have just gotten started with adipose treatments. She said so far that Parkinson's seems to be one that responds well. She suffers from rheumatoid arthritis and that responded well. The reason the price is at $10000 is that the treatment is in the early experimental stages right now. The doctor however is a surgeon and has a lot of experience with lipo. They have not treated any COPD patients yet.

TESS37
08-31-2010, 03:11 AM
Does anyone know the difference between the adistem method being used by ISIC to the adistem method used at www.returninghope.com? Also Barbara where did you get adipose stemcell treatment done and was it different to ISIC method as I thought they are saying they are the first to do this way. From reading some of Dave Snows posts and Dr Paynes advice they seem to think the best method for neurological symptoms catheter or lumbar puncture Dr Payne says IV doesnt get same results when dealing with the brain do I have this right? Does ISIC only do IV method? 60mins last night in Australia showed horror storys on lipo suction done in melbourne which killed one woman and scarred another for life done by supposedly top plastice surgeons its so hard to know who to trust. Also did Rita Alexander say whether the Parkinsons patients she treated were in early stages or not.
Barbara there list seems to treat many things is that good or bad thing?
I'm so glad I found this forum to ask my many questions.
I will post my story later. Thankyou

campbell88
08-31-2010, 07:51 AM
In the ISCI press release, it states that they use low laser light on the stem cells. Specifically it says, ?In the procedure adipose tissue is removed from the patient using mini-liposuction, and processed with a combination of PRP (platelet rich plasma) and low laser light.? After browsing www.adistem.com, I?m not sure, but I assume that the low laser light is the ?AdiLight-1 Activation? kit referred to on their website. It states that ?AdiLight-1 is the first LED device made available commercially by AdiStem for use in activating mesenchyme stem cells and modulating cytokine release by white blood cells?. If you go to the Returning Hope website and click on ?Treatment?, and then click on one of the conditions treated, it shows a description of the Adistem procedure. It does not include the low laser light. The AdiLight-1 seems to be relatively new, and perhaps not all clinics/doctors are using it.

barbara
08-31-2010, 10:19 AM
TESS37 - I think Campbell88 is right. I am sure Adistem's procedures will include retraining anyone that currently uses their equipment if their technology has changed and improved. I do know that Dr. Bill is always out on training missions.

I think your questions on the infusion method are good and I will submit them to Dr. Braly for this month's Ask the Doctor for his opinion.

I cannot tell you in what stage the PD patients were that have been treated at ISCI, but all of then had previous placenta stem cell therapy. In fact, all patients treated so far at ISCI have had placenta stem cell therapy at ISCI. I was told that the reason the price is $10000.00 is that this is still very experimental for them and for that reason, they wish to keep the cost low as patients are really paying to be guinea pigs. Some argue that treatment should then be free, but for the most part, there just aren't the huge amount of funds that would be needed to do this unless a company is associated with Big Pharma.

I wish I could have seen the show on lipo, but if 60 Minutes in Australia is anything like 60 Minutes in the U.S., the show was meant to sensationalize and present the most horrifying cases they could find. I do not mean to take away from the risks involved, as I do feel, lipo is invasive, but look at the number of patients that die on a daily basis from surgery of any kind or the wrong drugs given to them. It's just not a perfect world.

As for treating too many diseases, I do think there comes a point that a clinic can turn into a factory. This means they treat anyone that has the money. It is really too soon to evaluate ISCI as they have really just gotten started with adipose derived sc treatments. The owner however, is a patient and she has had treatment. I asked her to host so that we can find out more, so please submit any questions for ISCI to me. I will include the one you have about PD patients.

TESS37
08-31-2010, 09:27 PM
Barbara where did you get your adipose treatment done? it sounds more invasive than ISCI method you also said you felt the adipose went in to quick and made you breathless thats a bit scary. I would like to ask ISCI if they infuse fast as that doesnt sound good and also if they give you too many at a time. Also when Rita hosts I would like to ask if there patients would post there experiences on this new method on this forum to help others make the right decision otherwise we will never know if there new method is good or not. Barbara I would be very grateful if Dr Braly could explain the best infusion methods for treating the brain. Sorry who is Dr BRALY? Dr Payne seems to be very clued up ion infusion methods also does anyone agree? Barbara if you lived in Australia and could fly anywhere for treatment for neurological symptoms where would you go with your experience and knowledge? I would like to ask Dave Snow his reasons for now leaning towards Xcell Germany when not many people seem to be having any results from them on here why not continue with Dr Ramirez? Also how many infusions can one get in one day thats safe or do they do them over a period of time can the body and brain handle too many? China seems to do many treatments from what Ive heard people on here I dont know if I would trust China could any post experiences from there I have only seen there testimonals. I asked Dr Wise Young off Carecure forum about Dr Feinerman and Dr Steenblock he said he wouldnt choose either because they are not doing clinical trials or have evidence of there efficacy. He didnt know much about Dr F but said see CaseWatch about Steenblock then gave me this website to look at http://www.closerlookatstemcells.org...nic/index.cfm? I will look at this today Barbara do you know anything about this site. I'm not concerned about the stuff on Steenblock as I wasnt thinking of seeing him for treatment. Thanks

barbara
08-31-2010, 10:02 PM
Whoa - I think you may not understand that we don't endorse any doctor or clinic on this forum. A clinic that I might choose for my condition, might not be at all what you are needing. You really have to do a lot of research on your own and even at that, there are zero guarantees anywhere you go. Testimonials in general are worth very little, because websites only post their successes. How many other patients got no results from the treatment? How many might have had a bad reaction? Also, Wise Young would probably not approve of any clinic that is not doing clinical trials in the U.S. That pretty much eliminates treatment for everyone. ISCI is doing their own in house study, not official clinical trials. Dr. Lopez from Regenerative Medicine Institute is doing some clinicals, but they are not FDA clinicals. They are clinicals that come under the scrutiny of the Mexican Ministry of Health which is as strict as the FDA even though some do not want to admit to this.

All patients are welcome to join this forum and post their experiences. Some simply do not want to. Others have their own blogs. Everyone has their own reason for choosing to let others know they had treatment or not. I always let hosts know that their patients are welcome to post their experiences on the forum, however, just because one patient has success doesn't mean the next one will which is an unfortunate aspect of stem cell therapy's infancy.

My adipose treatment that went poorly was done by BioGenesis Institute. I have COPD which is a terminal lung disease. Shortness of breath is one of the main components for most that suffer from this disease. The treatment caused excessive shortness of breath for me. The infusion should have been done slowly in my opinion and it wasn't. I literally thought I was going to die and was sick for several months afterward. It depends on the treatment and what type of stem cells you are getting as to how long the infusion should be. Treatments are different depending on what condition is being treated. You would not be getting several infusions in a day.

Dr. Braly will host the next Ask the Doctor forum. His biography will be included with the thread. Patients may switch doctors because they want to try different methods of extraction or infusion or a different type of stem cell entirely. Also, Rita is the president of one company. There are many companies out there treating patients. I would urge you to read all of the Ask the Doctor threads to familiarize yourself with them.

Jeannine
08-31-2010, 10:50 PM
Isn't that Irv's website?

TESS37
09-01-2010, 12:11 AM
Thankyou so much Barbara and so sorry to have asked so many questions. I have read all the ask the drs posts and now I will try contacting some places I realise the zero guarantees and that everyones different some benifit others dont thats the worse part all that money for nothing or bad side effects that could make you worse. Its so hard to know wether to risk the money and your health incase it actually does help you. Have you heard anyone one here getting a bad reaction? Thanks for all that you have explained to me.

barbara
09-01-2010, 12:51 AM
I think you're right Jeannine. I couldn't get the link to work, but it is always the same old drivel about Dr. Steenblock.

Tess37 - No problem asking questions. That's what the open forum is for. Yes, there have been some bad reactions, but those are usually with companies that do not use safe stem cell practices. I know I feel a lot safer having stem cell therapy than I would having surgery for instance. Jeannine and I started this forum in 2007 because we had a bad experience and became very ill. When we returned home, there was no one to help us whatsoever. We didn't want that to happen to others, so we began the Pioneer forum to educate and support patients and caregivers.

TESS37
09-01-2010, 01:04 AM
Are you able to tell me the companies that dont use safe stemcell methods so I can avoid them? I would really like to think ISCI could help me as it is more affordable for me but being so new its too bigger a gamble I think. I wish someone who could see the future could tell me where to go or even not to go. IN MY DREAMS. Also do you know what the bad reactions were people had.

barbara
09-01-2010, 01:20 AM
There are probably hundreds of them worldwide. My bad experience was with a company that now calls itself Cellulogix International. There have been some reports of people who died, but these are people who probably should never have been treated in the first place. There is a point where someone is too ill to have treatment and clinics should not accept these patients.

There are signs to watch for - Treating every disease under the sun. Claiming that most or all patients see improvements. Refusing to give information as to the source of allogenic stem cells used in therapy. Saying they can cure you.
Having little or no real information on their website as to the actual treatment. Website is just full of testimonials and glitz. High pressure sales rep calls you. Conflicting information given by contacts within the company. No follow up program or a follow up program that is vague. Refusal to let you speak with a doctor. No mention of wanting you to send your medical records. No verifiable information on where the treatment is given (hospital, clinic, doctor's office?) No emergency facilities nearby. Money is the main topic of conversation. No information on the doctors who are doing the treatment. There are dozens of other things that could mean a clinic is not up to par. I am sure others on this forum can come up with things. You need to really compare clinics based on asking them the same questions. Gut instinct can be useful as well. If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

TESS37
09-01-2010, 02:32 AM
Thanks so much for the advice. Has anyone had treatment at Stemcell Rejuvenation Centre in Arozonia sorry about spelling.

barbara
09-01-2010, 02:36 PM
Is that the doctor who is using adipose derived stem cells who charges $1750 per treatment? If so, one member went to him. http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?p=10935#post10935

His treatments are not going to do much for serious conditions as he doesn't harvest enough stem cells.

TESS37
09-01-2010, 06:34 PM
No this is a different place www.stem-cell-centre.com its probably no good i thought id see if anyone heard of it. Also are there many places in China doing treatment I have only seen stemcellschina.com they sooo many testimonals compared to everyone else. I have just contacted Neurovita Clinic in Russia anyone heard of this one?

Kaye
09-02-2010, 02:43 AM
Barbara and Tess,

A little more press for Pioneers and Dr. Centeno. I tried the website that Tess mentioned, but couldn't get anywhere. This website was an option and is located in Australia. The author tries to be somewhat fair but does admit to having members in the ISSCR. At least we were not trashed but the author failed to point out that waiting for clinical trials is a death sentence for most of us and it's money in the bank for the patent holders (Dr. Weissman and others) and the stem cells companies (Big Pharma and Dr. Weissman again.) All about the money. This author points out, "It could be argued that clinical trials are there for patient?s safety, and that allowing clinicians to self-regulate would put patients at risk". What "clinicians" can't be trusted to self-regulate????? If I don't trust a doctor - I won't go back! Was he insulting our intelligence or some doctors' actions? I can think of one doctor in particular that was joking about putting human cells in rat brains and destroying the product if "it" showed any ability to think like a human. I believe he belonged to the ISSCR, not the Pioneers. The other person mentioned, Doug Sipp of the RIKEN Centre for Developmental Biology, does not have M.D. behind his name and I'm still not sure what his "beef" is. Maybe another case of e-coli?

http://www.stemcellcentre.edu.au/NewsEvents/Blogs/

Stem Cells ? The Regulations, The Science and The Patients Who Need Them Subscribe to our blog

It seems that stem cells are always surrounded by controversy.

A decade ago the focus was on the ethical issues surrounding embryonic stem cell research, and to the average member of the public this is probably what springs to mind if you said the words ?controversy? and ?stem cells?.

However, there are other issues at hand which deserve a closer look.

In America the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) are seeking an injunction against Colorado Based company Regenerative Sciences LLC and their autologous stem cell application called Regenexx. The company market their procedure as an alternative for orthopaedic surgery.

The FDA claims that the Regenerative Sciences products are regarded as drugs under the Federal Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act, AND Biological Products under the Public Health Service Act. In response, Regenerative Sciences Medical Director, Christopher Centeno claims that their products are a medical procedure comparable to IVF and therefore outside of the FDA?s jurisdiction.

So the issue for debate between Regenerative Science and the FDA is: should autologous adult stem cells be treated as a ?biological drug? or a ?medical procedure?? Autologous is defined as the patient?s own cells (as opposed to a donors). The debate has been alive and well versed from both camps for a while. Rather than rehash these I?d recommend reading the comments left by Dr Centeno (Regenexx) and Doug Sipp of the RIKEN Centre for Developmental Biology on Sipp?s blog ? Stem Cell Treatment Monitor. All affiliations are openly cited on the blog, and to continue in the same open and honest approach the Australian Stem Cell Centre (ASCC) has employees who are members of the ISSCR.

Some patient forums, such as the Stem Cell Pioneers, have been supporting the position of Regenerative Sciences and have weighed in on the debate. They feel they are being denied treatment and autologous stem cell therapies should not fall within the FDA?s jurisdiction.

It makes for an interesting and passionate debate. Put simply, over regulation may stifle research, under regulation may put patients at risk.

It could be argued that clinical trials are there for patient?s safety, and that allowing clinicians to self-regulate would put patients at risk. In particular they refer to stem cell companies that offer unproven and experimental therapies and charge patients large sums for them, often referred to as stem cell tourism.

And, it has to be said, some overseas stem cell clinics do take advantage of patients. Offering complete ?cures? based on patient testimonials, without discussing risks and possible side effects. Some, if given the benefit of the doubt, are just trying to speed things up and give patients the choice to have experimental therapies. And in the background of all this is the scientists adhering to all the guidelines and running clinical trials.

The ASCC has a Patient Handbook which explains unproven and experimental therapies, and aims for patients to be able to make well informed, educated decisions regarding their treatment. Whatever that choice may be.

In Australia, human cellular and tissue based therapies or products (biologicals) are regulated by the Therapeutic Goods Administration (TGA) which is the Australian equivalent to the FDA. The TGA has recently developed a new regulatory framework for biologicals. This framework imposes varying levels of regulation on the therapy or product depending on risk, extent of manipulation, and whether the intended use of the biological is its usual biological function. For example, if a company wanted to gain approval for a treatment that used a biological, and the biologicals intended use was not its normal function, they would have to submit substantial evidence to the TGA that the particular therapy or product is safe, effective and of high quality. More information and detail can be found on the TGA website.

Read more on the subject:

The FDA announcement.

Regenerative Science's press release.

Commentary from Nature News and Mass Device.

barbara
09-02-2010, 01:33 PM
Excellent points Kaye. Thanks for posting this.

TESS37
09-06-2010, 03:20 AM
I just had a reply from Dr Burton F Stem Cell Regen Med. They said the best treatment for stroke/brain damange or neurodegenerative disease the two most important things nessary for my treatment are administration of neuron brain stem cells and nerve growth growth factors and that the stem cells are administered into your brain and central nervous system. But if you insist on bone marrow stem cells we can give them to you instead. But they feel they would be of limited value for me. I dont like the sound of having them injected direct into my brain. I have sent them querie on this and also asked them what are neuron brain stem cells that they want to use. Does anyone know anything about the above things ive mentioned or had the above done please let me know thanks. They said if im interested in there treatment and can pay 25,000.00 they will send me a large package of info regarding the procedures.

michaelsdad00
09-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Tess,
I would be surprised if they were able to effectively harvest these neuron stem cells from your brain stem so they are probably from somebody else. This would mean that this is an allogeneic stem cell transplant. Given that your description indicates that they are from a brain stem. The source is most likely fetal stem cells. If so, my understanding is that host graft rejection is a possibility. Dr. Centeno's web page is interesting...
http://repaircells.blogspot.com/
Dave

barbara
09-06-2010, 08:35 PM
Response from Burton Feinerman, M.D.

In cases of brain damage or patients with neurodegenerative disease, StemCellRegenMed does have a procedure that consists of administering neuron stem cells along with nerve growth factor, brain derived neurotrophic factor, glial derived neurotrophic factor into the central nervous via the spinal canal through a spinal catheter that is moved carefully caudad. The procedure can be done safely using direct imaging systems to know where the catheter is located. A U.S.A. trained neurosurgeon performs the procedure.
In reference to the cost mentioned this includes the hospital fees, neurosurgeon, doctor's assistant, nurses, supplies, use of operating room for two or more times which is used for sterility purposes, the isolation of the neuron stem cells, the three types of nerve growth factors mentioned above, x-ray imaging of the spinal catheter, local transportation etc.
The patient usually remains in the hospital for 4-5 days for the treatment. The neuron stem cells are extracted and cultured from umbilical cord blood. These stem cells though allogenic according to world famous researchers (Drs. Juliet Barker and John Wagner from the University of Minnesota) feel that these cells do not cause host vs. graft disease.
StemCellRegenMed treats many patients with COPD, arthritis, severe skin damage, ligament/muscle/tendon damage and numerous other conditions with autologous stem cells from peripheral blood, bone marrow and plan in the near future from adipose (fat) tissue of the patients. Autologous stem cells can also be used in treating heart disease, chronic kidney disease, autoimmune disease e.g. lupus, Crohn's. There are certainly plenty of conditions in which autologous stem cells especially mesenchymal stem cells can be used to treat medical conditions
When it comes to serious neurological diseases, neuron stem cells are needed and should be administered into the central nervous system.

michaelsdad00
09-06-2010, 08:49 PM
This is encouraging, versus extracting them from someone's brain stem. The $25,000 seems like the standard price. That was the price we paid for Michael's treatment through SRI two years ago for stem cells derived from human umbilical cord blood via a catheter to his carotid artery.

TESS37
09-07-2010, 12:28 AM
Thanks for the replys. Barbara so they administer into the central nervous via the spinal canal. Not directly aministering into the brain then? I was hoping i read it wrong when they said into the brain as that scared me. So the neuron stem cells they spoke of are umbical cord stem cells. The reason i wanted my own bone marrow was so i dont risk rejecting them or other complications involved when using someone elses cells. I am still waiting for a reply from ISCI but if Dr F feels umbical cord is better for neurological problems then im not sure about ISCI adipose method even though they treat neurological problems with adipose there. maybe adipose is not strong enough for neurological problems either. There is so much at risk I have so much to try and learn before doing this the same as anyone else here i guess. Thank God for this forum to come to. Also Michaelsdad you said your son had treatment at SRI two years is that short for Stem Cell Reg Med Dr F?

michaelsdad00
09-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Tess,
Dr. Steenblock has has reorganized his set-up it seems. It used to be SRI worked with Dr. Ramirez in Tijuana.

Website info removed.

barbara
09-07-2010, 08:45 PM
Website and phone numbers should only be posted in the promotional area.

TESS37
09-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Why is umbical cord stem cells better for neurological symptoms? I know theres more risks when you dont use your own so umbical cord from someone else is scary to me but i have to have whats going to work or whats the point. I am struggling so much with all this my Dad is going to try to help me with researching but he works fulltime and doesnt have a computer at his house. No one else will help as they dont agree with stemcells. My Dad is the one who is going to come with me. I just want to cry today.

barbara
09-08-2010, 11:44 PM
The risk from umbilical cord stem cells are minimal if you go to a reputable clinic that has them processed at an approved lab and certifies for purity. Some scientists feel that patients should be matched, but that can cost $30,000. Most doctors will match sex, but few patients will pay an extra $30K for the more intricate processing. I personally know of no one that has had that done.

We have all struggled with the issues you are having. It certainly isn't easy to make choices especially in a frontier of science that is still very new.

TESS37
09-10-2010, 12:31 AM
Thanks Barbara that helped alot i understand now. Sorry Just one more question why do they prefer umibical stemcells to bone marrow for neurological thats the part im trying to understand. Are they a different type of cell? Also does Dr Fernando Ramiz work at biogenesis institute do you know?

barbara
09-10-2010, 12:50 AM
Dr. Ramirez is no longer associated with Biogenesis Institute. I think he had problems with them.

Who is the "they" you refer to that prefers uc cells?

michaelsdad00
09-10-2010, 04:33 PM
There are a number of people on this Forum who have had great results with the stem cell transplants performed by Dr. Ramirez.

barbara
09-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't think Dr. Steenblock is working with him any more. I have no problems with Dr. Ramirez, so don't make it one. Dr. Braly is working with Dr. Ramirez I believe. Things change in this industry. I will ask Dr. Steenblock if you don't know. I think that would be more productive than speculating.

michaelsdad00
09-10-2010, 05:11 PM
Thanks for updating me re: Steenblock and Ramirez.

TESS37
09-10-2010, 06:56 PM
When I say they Im sorry I meant my reply from Dr Burton F they suggested ub for best results. I am also inquiring with Biogenesis Institute. I never got a reply from ISCI i sent them an email a week ago. They state on there site that someone will contact you within 24hrs. They must be very busy maybe cause its new. I also would appreciate any feed back from people that have been to Xcell Germany. They were my first choise when i first started looking. But i havent heard many results from there. Thanks

barbara
09-10-2010, 08:20 PM
Tess - Did you ask Dr. Feinerman himself as to why he uses them for neuro treatments? He usually responds to questions if you e-mail him. It would be good to know what he has to say.
ISCI is in the initial experimental stage with their adipose treatments. In all honesty, I think you should be looking at clinics that have more experience with neurological patients.
What kind of treatment is Biogenesis offering?
I will add your question to the Ask the Doctor forum for this month as well to get yet another opinion of uc vs bone marrow.

As for X-Cell, there is little feed back on this forum about them. You may find a few other posts if you search.

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=2311

http://www.stemcellpioneers.com/showthread.php?t=2815

barbara
09-11-2010, 10:02 AM
For those not familiar with Dr. Ramirez, he does not work out of a hospital. He has his own clinic very near the border.

TESS37
09-11-2010, 07:18 PM
I did send an email back asking why they prefer ub cells. But i didnt get a reply maybe it didnt send i have been having trouble with my emails. I will try to find Dr Fernando Ramirez email so i can email him about treatment. Thanks

peg
03-01-2011, 11:57 PM
Does anyone know if these adispose stem cells treat neuropathic pain from injuries/trauma/infection? I am looking into stem cell therapy. Are there any known risks?

barbara
03-02-2011, 12:25 PM
There are risks with any invasive surgery so it is important that you find a clinic where there is someone highly skilled in liposuction if you choose to have adipose derived treatment. As far as treating your pain, I don't have an answer. I would suggest you contact a few clinics that offer adipose therapy and ask. There are several that have hosted Ask the Doctor that you might check with. I will also submit your question to the Ask the Doctor host for this month as it's a good one.

peg
05-12-2011, 12:22 AM
Hi,

Can anyone tell me if they have had adipose stem cells for neuropathic pain? I would also like to know of any stem cell clinics offering these stem cells in the U.S. Does anyone know of neurological specialist offering stem cell therapy for neurological problems? I have contacted a clinic in Phoenix, Arizona that offers adipose stem cells. But i would like to hear from anyone who has had adipose stem cell therapy. The clinic doesn't promise that i will benefit from the stem cells. I wish that people would blog their results from stem cell therapy.

barbara
05-12-2011, 12:41 AM
I do not have neurological pain. I have also stated that the adipose treatment I had at BioGenesis Institute was one of the worst treatments I have ever had. This was because the doctor simply was not an experienced surgeon (although I was assured he was) and did not perform the liposuction properly. I got absolutely nothing out of the treatment except 3 months of setback and pain. I would never opt for an invasive treatment like that again, but that is my personal bias. Others have had adipose treatment that went much more smoothly, although I cannot speak for them as to any improvements they may have gotten after their treatment. Hopefully, they will post a reply to you. You might look at the Ask the Doctor section as some of the doctors that have hosted do adipose treatments. You may also want to check other clinics out as far as what they offer for neurological pain. If you have a specific question, I will also be glad to submit it to the host of the Ask the Doctor this month. Just send it to my e-mail.

peg
05-13-2011, 10:37 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am scheduled for adipose stem cell therapy in august at a center in Phoenix, AZ, The cost is about $8,000.00.
I am also looking into other clinics. If anyone has information on other clinics please email me at pegdarlene@yahoo.com. Also Barbara please email me your email address. I suffer with nerve damage of my pelvic nerves. I would like to hear from anyone who has had stem cells for chronic nerve pain. Take care!

barbara
05-14-2011, 01:56 PM
I sent you my e-mail address. The forum does have a feature to contact others.
You can send private messages and for some that allow it, e-mails, by clicking on Community, then members, then find the member you wish to contact and click on their name and send them a message.